To help foster member engagement, Weekly Report will publish periodic Member Spotlights that feature professionals from across the reverse mortgage ecosystem.
In this issue, we present Gail Balettie, Senior Vice President, Client Satisfaction, at Celink. Gail is also co-chair of the NRMLA Servicing Committee.
- How did you get into the reverse mortgage world? In 2006, an executive with Financial Freedom asked me to consider joining the team to lead their origination operations. I did, and then moved over to servicing operations in 2011.
- What current topics in the reverse mortgage world are you most focused on now? Improving the Borrower and Client experience, partnering with HUD to advocate for HECM policy changes, and helping reverse mortgage borrowers obtain Homeowner Assistance Funds (HAF) where possible.
- What has been your biggest professional challenge/obstacle thus far? How did you overcome/handle it? Patiently waiting for needed change in this industry is a big challenge. Participants need to be able to stay the course, be persistent and proactively work for the change that is needed in the industry.
- What do you consider to be your greatest accomplishment in your career to date? Being part of a team that has delivered a great online portal for reverse mortgage borrowers (a game changer in this industry) that they love!
- If you could offer one piece of advice to someone who wants to get into the reverse mortgage world, what would it be and why? Never stop learning about the product so that you can correctly inform others (especially prospective borrowers).
- Why did you become a NRMLA member? To actively participate with reverse mortgage industry leaders and effectively channel issues and proposed solutions to HUD.
- What has been your favorite NRMLA event and why? Annual meetings. They are most productive when we have face-time with clients and representatives from HUD. Making that in-person connection in business is important in my opinion.
- What do you like to do in your spare time? Do you have any hobbies or pursuits? I enjoy spending time with my grandchildren, kayaking, traveling, good food and a great martini!
- What do you love most about working in the reverse mortgage industry? Working with others who have the same passion for helping and protecting seniors.
- What is your favorite food city? New York Favorite meal in said city? Italian, of course!
- What’s one item you can’t live without? My dogs!