To help foster member engagement, NRMLA will publish periodic Member Spotlights that feature professionals from across the reverse mortgage ecosystem.
We present Anissa Palmatier, CRMP, Midwest Regional Account Manager for Reverse Mortgage Funding LLC. Anissa started originating reverse mortgages in 2005 for National City Mortgage. In 2010, she was part of the first class of recipients to receive the Certified Reverse Mortgage Professional (CRMP) designation.
- How did you get into the reverse mortgage world? In 2005, I was hired to originate and run the non-prime department for National City Mortgage. In 2007, when the non-prime business went away, I was asked to learn all I could about reverse mortgages, so we could start offering them. Knowing nothing about the product, I found NRMLA, who gave me the training and understanding. Once I learned of the CRMP designation, I knew I had to have it. I wanted to be sure my borrowers knew they were dealing with someone they could completely trust, and I wanted to be the best at what I did.
- What do you consider your greatest accomplishment in your career to date? My greatest accomplishment has been finding NRMLA, learning the product, and getting myself where I am today in my career. Transitioning from originator to account executive was harder than I thought. I do miss working directly with the borrowers. That was tough to get used to. But I think being well-rounded in more aspects of the reverse mortgage industry has introduced me to more opportunities to learn and grow.
- If you could offer advice to someone who wants to get into the reverse mortgage world, what would it be and why? I would tell someone that no matter what role you play in the reverse world, loan officer, AE, underwriter, etc., it is all about helping the senior, having knowledge of the product, and always having integrity.
- Why did you become a NRMLA member? I became a NRMLA member because I wanted to keep up with the industry and be a part of a group that advocates for the product and our seniors. NRMLA has a great reputation and gives additional credibility to partners and borrowers.
- What has been your favorite NRMLA event and why? I have attended so many NRMLA conferences over the 13 years that I have been a member, so it’s hard to say which would be my favorite. They are all packed with so much knowledge, education, and insight from the experts and professionals in the industry, along with networking and being face to face without clients and other reverse professionals. But I will say…since I love country music, Nashville was probably my favorite!
- What do you like to do in your spare time? Do you have any hobbies or pursuits? I enjoy spending time with family, listening to live music, paddleboarding, doing Yoga, and having wine with good friends.
- What do you love most about working in the reverse mortgage industry? I really love the closeness of the people in our industry. It is a small industry, and we all have the same goal of taking care of the senior borrower. I have met some really great people in this business who I have learned from and shared ideas with.
- What is your favorite food city? Favorite meal in said city? I have been fortunate to travel quite a bit through the years, and have tried so many new foods, but I don’t think I have a “favorite” food city. Living in Illinois my entire life, I would have to say some Chicago deep-dish pizza has to be one of my favorites!
- What’s one item you can’t live without? I don’t think I could go without music. I enjoy almost all genres but most of all Country!