FHA Lenders and Mortgagees Need to Apply for Government ID

FHA Lenders and Mortgagees Need to Apply for Government ID

In accordance with new requirements announced by the General Services Administration (GSA), all entities engaged in or seeking to do business with the federal government, including the Federal Housing Administration, must have an active Unique Entity Identifier (UEI) from GSA’s System of Award Management (SAM.gov).

Details were announced this week in Mortgagee Letter 2022-14.

The UEI is an alpha-numeric identifier used by the federal government to maintain consistent name and address data about non-federal entities doing business with the government.

The requirement applies to all FHA-approved lenders and mortgagees, and entities seeking FHA approval and will be captured as part of an institution’s data in the Lender Electronic Assessment Portal (LEAP) or application for FHA approval.

The provisions of this ML may be implemented immediately but must be implemented no later than December 31, 2022. To register for a UEI and for additional information, go to https://sam.gov/content/duns-uei.

Published by

Darryl Hicks

Darryl Hicks is Vice President of Communications for the National Reverse Mortgage Lenders Association. In this capacity, Hicks writes for NRMLA's publications, manages the association's web sites and social media accounts, assists committees and the Board of Directors, and manages the Certified Reverse Mortgage Professional designation. Prior to joining NRMLA in 1999, Hicks spent three years in the Washington, D.C. bureau for National Mortgage News.